Orono Public Golf Course 265 Orono Orchard Road South Orono, MN 55391
The golf course land was originally conveyed to Mr. Edward Walsh in 1859 when the state of Minnesota was less than two years old. In addition to ordinary farming activities, the Walsh's had an extensive fruit and berry business. Apple orchards extended over considerable acreage on both sides of what is now Orono Orchard Road, hence the subdivision name of Orono Orchards. Leo Feser obtained the land in 1923 and the golf course officially opened July 4, 1924. Some interesting facts about the golf course include:
- Orono Public Golf Course was originally called Orono Orchards Golf Course.
- It was the first privately owned public golf course in Minnesota and the first to have grass greens (all other municipal
courses had sand greens at the time).
- Opening day rounds were sold for $.35.
- Many granite and limestone rocks were removed during construction and the current entrance monument was unearthed
near the 5th green.